Do you love the idea of self-care, but you keep forgetting to squeeze any personal time into your busy schedule? Self-Care Sábados may help you to stay on track by devoting one day a week to your well-being. You can also choose another day of the week. While you could pick any day of the semana to start practicing, Saturday has its advantages. You’re probably home from work, so you have more control over your time. Remember that many of the most nurturing activities are simple, fun, and gratis. Use these ideas to invent your own Self-Care Sábado rituals.
Self-Care for Your Physical Health:
- Plan your menu. A meal plan can help you to manage your weight and eat healthy. Figure out balanced meals and snacks to enjoy throughout the week.
- Eat light. You can brunch without the bacon. Visit a farmer’s market or el supermercado and whip up a mushroom omelet. Make healthy versions of your favorite meals.
- Stay hydrated. If you’re tired most of the time, you may need to drink more water. Try carrying a bottle around with you on Saturday to see if you feel more alert. Drinking water can also help with maintaining a healthy weight.
- Work out. Treadmills are convenient for workday mornings, but you probably have more options on your days off. Head outdoors to ride your bike or hike a trail.
- Sleep well. It’s tempting to sleep in on weekends, but a consistent schedule is more effective. Go to bed early, so you’ll feel refreshed on the next day.
- Examine your skin. Dermatologists recommend a monthly self-examination to spot early signs of skin cancer. Do it every fourth Sunday or scan a quarter of your body each week.
- Tidy up. Cleaning and decluttering benefit your body and mind as well as your home. Catching up on housework will reduce your exposure to germs and cut down on anxiety.
Self-Care for Your Psychological and Spiritual Health:
- Meditate or pray. Spend some time developing mindfulness and connecting with the Divine. Start with a few minutes at a time and extend your sessions as your concentration grows.
- Learn something. Read a book or take a course online. Earn a new accreditation or study a subject unrelated to your work.
- Be social. Hang out with family and friends. Organize a movie night with popcorn. Visit a museum or spend time outdoors.
- Enjoy a laugh. Brighten up your Sábado with something funny.
- Express gratitude. Think about the things you’re thankful for and write them down in a gratitude journal. Feeling appreciative will make you happier and healthier.
- Turn off your phone. Take a break from technology. Keep your phone turned off or muted for at least a few hours each Saturday. Limit the number of times you check your messages.
- Give generously. Serving others enhances your physical and mental health. Do volunteer work in your comunidad. Hand out sincere compliments to strangers. Search through your closets for clothing and other possessions you can donate to charity.
Let Self-Care Sábados become a reminder to tend to your well-being on a regular basis. You’ll increase your chances for leading a meaningful life and deepen your capacity to care for others.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.