Volunteering in your comunidad is a win-win situation. Not only do you help those less fortunate than you, but you also receive many benefits – both personal and professional.
Nothing gives you satisfaction like giving back to your comunidad. Volunteering brings knowledge, experience and positivity to your life.
Check out the benefits for giving back to your comunidad:
- You’re reminded there’s a mundo outside of yourself. Giving back helps you de-focus from yourself and your own challenges while showing you the struggles and needs of others.
- Being a part of something bigger than yourself is rewarding. We’re reminded of the impact we can make on others when we become a part of something bigger.
- Learn something new. Regardless of how you decide to help your comunidad, it’s likely you’ll learn something you didn’t already know.
- Strengthen your confidence. Because you’re helping others, you’ll feel more positive about yourself.
- Gain work experience. Depending on the type of volunteer work you do, you could learn something that will help you in your job or future work.
- Make new contacts. Getting out and giving back to your comunidad will help you meet more people. Because each person has a network of their own, you never know how far your positive influence could travel – bringing you new opportunities or even job offers.
- Helping others is a wonderful thing to do. It does your heart, mind and soul good to reach out to help others.
- Make new friends. Because you’ll encounter so many new people, you could meet people that will become your friends.
- Strengthen your comunidad. Volunteering contributes to your comunidad by uplifting others in the comunidad.
- Add to your resume. Volunteering gives you marketable experiences and qualifications to include in your resume.
- Volunteering is a real-life experience that can’t be had in a classroom. Some college instructors recommend “service learning” which is another term for “volunteering” or “giving back to your comunidad.” Service learning provides a real-world experience to students that would be impossible to learn in the classroom.
- View how others live. Seeing how others live their lives enhances your own life.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.