Throughout life, you may feel frustrated or maybe even upset by how you feel about your body. Perhaps you don’t have those curves you want. Maybe you always wanted to be tall but you’re chaparrita. You might want a thin body but you’ve got a thicker, more muscular frame. What can you do to accept your body just the way it is? How can you love and accept your cuerpo?
These tips can help you feel good about your cuerpo:
- Remind yourself that it’s the body you have. This is the body you’ve been given. Accepting it will save you a lot of grief.
- Survey your body “systems.” How well does your body work for you? Examine the complexities of your very own body and its functionality. You’ll be pleased at all the wonderful things your body does for you.
- Take pride in your positive qualities. If you have great hair, good for you. Strong arms due to working out? Great. Say to yourself, “Wow! Although my vision is not very good, with my contacts I have perfect vision!” Maybe you have clear skin or beautiful white teeth. Be proud of you. Focus on what you love!
- Notice when your body works well. Maybe you almost missed the bus/subway this morning but you ran like a racehorse and jumped on just before it pulled away. Recognize how well your body can respond to your needs.
- Develop a realistic plan for change. If you wish to build muscles in your arms, it can be done. But you should consult with trainers/experts to achieve the results you want so that you do it safely.
- Commit to your plan to change what’s possible and set aside time to achieve your goals. Once you realize what you do have the power to change and you have written a realistic plan, follow your plan. Allow time to form a habit to achieve the results you’re after.
- Deal in healthy ways with things you can’t change. Rather than being disappointed or getting angry about your body, recognize that we are born with certain characteristics that we can’t change. Embracing your physical appearance just the way you are is the best way to living a life of self-confidence and serenity.
- Take care of your body. The best way to show love for your body is to take good care of it. Notice your appearance. Use lotions and moisturizers to maintain smooth skin. Keep your hair healthy. Take part in regular and consistent exercise. Provide good nourishment to your body. No matter what size, weight, or physical attributes you have, when you take care of your body, you’re showing the love you have for yourself and your cuerpo
Accepting your body image is so important. When you can say, “I’m great just the way I am,” you’ll lead a much happier life.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.