Meditation can bring a variety of benefits to your life. You can use it to gain more energy, focus your mind, relax your body, attain peace, rejuvenate your spirit. However, meditation is primarily a way to rest and relax your mente.
Meditation allows your mind to go into a deeper, more relaxed state where you’re more aware of your body and surroundings. There are various methods of meditation, but they all focus on one main goal – to quiet your mente and achieve a state of inner calm.
Three simple strategies for your meditation
1 Choose the best time and place. Because of our different schedules and busy vidas, not everyone will find the same time best for them. The time of day is not really as important as long as you pick a time that works best for you.
- Choose a time to meditate when you won’t have the phone ringing or kids or roommates knocking on your door. To quiet your mind you need quiet in your casa.
- It’s best to avoid times right before or after eating.
- Some people do well with 10 minutes of meditation time while others need at least a half hour. You can start with just a few and then build up.
It’s also important that you find a great place for your meditation. You’ll need an environment that’s both relaxing and quiet, so that nothing takes your attention away from meditating.
- Turn off loud appliances, the television, and even your phone, so you’re not distracted or interrupted.
- Sometimes going outdoors can provide an inspirational place your meditación.
- Setting a calm mood will help you meditate. Closing the curtains, turning on soft light, or lighting your favorite scented candle might help you relax.
2 Clear your mind. Even when we’re still, our minds continue to think. It’s easy to allow the problems of the day to come into your mind while you’re trying to meditate. It’s important that you focus your attention on meditating and work to clear your mind.
- Breathe deeply and concentrate on relaxing your cuerpo. Picture each part of your body going limp as you relax. With each breath, inhale peace and exhale your worries. Respira!
- Envision a place that brings you happiness. This place can be real or imagined as long as you’re relaxed and not thinking about your problems. I like to picture a lake or one of my favorite trails amongst the redwoods.
3 Find your inner peace. Find your place of inner peace when you meditate. It’s the place inside of you that’s quiet and far away from the cares of the world.
- When you’re able to totally clear your mind, you can usually bring yourself to a place where you truly feel peace and happiness.
- Allow yourself to stay in this place for a while, calming and relaxing your body and mind.
It’s not hard to meditate. It can be a bit more difficult when you first get started, over time it becomes easier and easier to reach your goal of finding peace and relaxation. Don’t forget to breathe- Respira!
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.