There are many ways to make Christmas more memorable y muy Feliz! Unfortunately, it can be difficult to feel the joy through the cluttered maze that has become of Christmas. Through the years, Christmas has strayed too far from its original meaning and become a highly commercialized event. When it comes to the holiday season, more people are concerned with buying the “perfect” regalo for others and anticipating what they will receive, rather than focusing on the true spirit of Navidad.
It’s time to get back to the basics when it comes to the season of gift giving, love, sharing, and caring. This year, you can make your Christmas a joyous and stress-free holiday by following these 3 easy tips:
Give of Yourself.
No matter what you can or cannot afford, there’s always one gift that you can give to others: the gift of your time. Christmas is only as commercialized as you allow it to be. Although it costs nothing, your tiempo is the most precious gift of all. There are many ways that you can give of yourself to others this Christmas season:
- Be a friend who listens
- Spend time with a loved one and your familia
- Help someone with their household chores
- Babysit for someone who really needs a break
- Let others know that you are available anytime they may need your help
Use Your Talentos.
No matter how nice that watch appears to look in the jewelry case, the homemade blanket that you create for your amiga, neighbor, coworker, or family member will be much more appreciated than anything you can buy in a store. Sure, store bought gifts are nice, but people will value your handmade gifts more due to one reason: you put your time, efforts, and love into creating those gifts. When the receiver thinks about your hard work and dedication in creating the regalo, it will become more and more cherished. Ultimately, handmade gifts are priceless, whereas the store bought regalo will lose value over time. But if you do buy un regalo, buy Fair Trade as you will have a greater impact on artisans around the globe.
Here are some ideas of homemade gifts you can make:
- Fresh-baked cookies, pies, or special holiday treats
- Hand sewn quilts or crocheted scarves
- Framed photo collage
- Personalized scrapbooks
- Custom made jewelry
Cherish Your Time Together.
In the end, we can’t take back time. Our tiempo is lost in so many ways on a daily basis – especially around Navidad.
- It’s time to place our priorities on our familia and friends rather than on the shopping and holiday preparations.
- Why fight the shopping crowds when you could be enjoying time with family and friends? Wouldn’t you rather create some warm, happy memories?
- Spending the night baking alone is such a waste. Invite people over to help or plan your baking so you can enjoy other’s company while things are in the oven.
If you want to make your Navidad muy especial, remember to spend the time that you have with your loved ones enjoying each other.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.