You might not have everything you wish for, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have things in your life to be thankful for. It’s easy to be frustrated by all the things you don’t have. The cure is to appreciate all the things you do have. And, you have a lot more than you think.
Follow these tips to remember how afortunada you are:
- When you first wake up. This is a perfect way to get your day off to a good start. Before you move a muscle, think about all the things in your life that are good. Consider your health, job, friends, familia, and anything else that makes you feel grateful.
- When you shower. This is another good time to practice being thankful. It’s the perfect time to be grateful for the fact that you have fingers and toes. You have access to clean water. You can even be thankful that you have hot water.
- When you eat. Take advantage of this time to further develop the habit of thankfulness. Be thankful for your food, even if it doesn’t taste as good as you’d like. At least you have food!
- Be thankful for the people around you.
- Be thankful for the day’s events before your meal and what’s yet to come.
- Be thankful for your table and other furniture in your home.
- When you look in the mirror. Take a good look at yourself and be thankful for what you have. You might not look perfect, but you can be thankful for the parts of your body that work great and look beautiful.
- When you speak to someone. Each time you speak to someone, be thankful that you’re able to communicate with others. And be thankful for the other person. It would be lonely if you were the only person on earth.
- When you go to bed. End the day the same way you started, by being thankful. This will help you to have a good night’s rest. By starting and ending your day this way, thankfulness will become your default attitude.
- Keep a journal. While thinking about and reminding yourself of all the wonderful things in your life is very effective, you can be more effective by writing in a journal each day. Spend just a few minutes each day listing the things that make you feel grateful. Add to the list every single day, and you’ll be amazed by how much better you feel.
Remember to be thankful each day, and you’ll spend more time smiling. Your life is better than you realize, and you have a lot to be thankful for. Make a habit of being thankful and keep a journal. A little bit of time spent on gratitude each day will have a lasting effect on your life.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.