Loving ourselves might not always be our first priority, but it’s time to change that this Valentine’s Day. The more we love ourselves, the better we take care of ourselves. This impacts our health, longevity, self-esteem, self-confidence, and success. As Latinas, we are often so focused on caring for our familias or others that we forget to make ourselves a priority. So, let’s change that narrative, because we deserve nothing less.
Check out these tips to boost your self-love this V-Day:
- Celebrate your victories. We Latinas are strong and resilient. It’s time we focus on our triumphs more than our trials. Remember that time you were the first in your family to graduate college? Or that moment you landed your dream job? Relish in those victories!
- Give Back to Your Comunidad. As Latinas, community is at the heart of who we are. Volunteering can be a powerful way to boost your self-esteem. You’ll feel good about yourself when you’re giving back, and it’s a reminder of the strong, caring mujer you are.
- Be a buena amiga. We Latinas know the value of friendship. Being a good friend not only strengthens your bond with your amigas but also boosts the way you see yourself.
- Forgive yourself. We’ve all made mistakes. But as Latinas, we’re often too hard on ourselves. It’s time to show ourselves the same compassion we give to others.
- Prioritize your needs over your wants. Taking care of our needs before our wants is a powerful act of self-love. This is not about being selfish, chicas, it’s about self-care.
- Stay Active. Latinas, we are known for our love of dance and movement. Let’s use this to our advantage. Remember, every time you dance to your favorite salsa tune or enjoy a healthy meal, you’re showing love to yourself.
- Celebrate your uniqueness. As Latinas, our culture, language, and experiences make us unique. Embrace what makes you different. After all, your uniqueness is your superpower!
- Practice gratitude. Be grateful for your mind, cuerpo, and Latina identity. Appreciate your life and all the beauty it holds. You are more amazing than you think.
- Treat yourself with kindness. Remember, you are as deserving of kindness as anyone else. Respecting yourself is a form of self-love.
Self-love is a crucial aspect of our growth. Without it, our happiness and success are hindered.
So, let’s start prioritizing ourselves, chicas. Set aside some time each day for self-care and self-love. Trust me, your life will be better for it.
Show Your Self-Love
Radical Self-Love T-Shirt
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.