We tend to concentrate on our flaws instead of celebrating our achievements and good qualities. Yet, it’s difficult for other people to show us respect, appreciation, or love if we don’t love ourselves. While we easily express love for others, it is much harder to show appreciation for ourselves. We often allow others to take advantage of us and we remain in unhealthy relationships. We over-indulge in food. We squander our precious time. We set goals that don’t reflect our potential. It’s time we spent some time practicing radical self-love.
Take the time to show yourself some radical self-love:
- Recognize that you are meaningful. You have an important role to play in the world. Your thoughts and ideas are essential. Your efforts are noteworthy. Your existence is valuable and you have already made a positive impact in many people’s lives.****
- Understand that your greatest mistakes don’t define you. Your mistakes may have had an impact on your life, but only if you let them. No matter how many mistakes you’ve made, tomorrow is un nuevo día.****
- Forgive someone who has wronged you. Forgiveness doesn’t mean you have to let them back into your life or give them another chance. It simply means you won’t spend any more time or mental energy on your anger. Be kind to yourself and let it go. You’ll be amazed at your inner strength and the relief that comes with forgiveness.
- Think about the best compliments you’ve ever received and bask in them. The most meaningful ones are those that resonate deeply within us. It’s always nice when someone else acknowledges the best that we have to offer the world.****
- Be Kind to Yourself. The world can be a harsh place, so make sure to be gentle with yourself. Acknowledge your positive cualidades and strengths, and take time to appreciate them.
- Take good care of yourself. See the doctor and dentist regularly. Get a good haircut and dress well. Put in the effort to look your best – vales la pena!
- Treat yourself! Go on that trip you’ve been dreaming of. Get that libro you’ve been wanting. Sign up for a class on something that interests you. Splurge on those luxurious sheets for your bed. Don’t do it as a reward – do it because you’re amazing.
- Remember your greatest successes. Remember how amazing you are. You’ve done lots of great things. Remind yourself of them.
We were taught to be loving towards others. It’s time to extend that same love to ourselves. When you love yourself more, everyone benefits. You’ll be happier, more productive, and more inspiring. So, take the time to show yourself some radical self-love. You deserve it!
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.