Everyone wishes to be happy. Those that are already happy would like to be even happier. A life lacking of felicidad is a constant challenge. Happiness isn’t just about the big things in life. There are many small things that color your vida and subtly add to it.
If you’d like to add more happiness to your life, try these tips:
- Realize that money is great for solving problems, but it does little to improve your level of happiness. Need new tires on your car? Want to make a career change? Money is a great solution. However, once you have enough dinero to meet your basic needs, happiness is found elsewhere. More money doesn’t make you happier.
- Sleep at least 7 hours each night. If you think you’re thriving on 5 hours of sleep, think again. Every study on the topic has shown that our performance improves when sleep is increased to a minimum of 7 hours.
- Give at least one compliment each day. Focus on the positive in others. You’ll feel better and are more likely to receive the same treatment.
- Be mindful. Let go of regret and worry. Your life is happening right now. You surely don’t want to miss anything.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Feel good about yourself by getting the day off on the right foot. You’ll also be more likely to eat a healthy lunch.
- Spend regular time on a hobby you love. Work is required for most of us. Hobbies are optional. Spend part of your free time on activities you do just for fun.
- Be grateful. You probably have a lot to be grateful for in your life than you realize. Focus on those positive things and your mood is sure to brighten.
- Get out of the house. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut when you see and experience the same things consistently. See what else is going on in the world.
- Find middle ground. Happiness is rarely found at the extremes. The middle path is the sweet spot.
- Focus on regular improvement instead of perfection. If being perfect is necessary to feel happy, you’re doomed to la miseria. Be happy with small, consistent improvement.
- Try something new. You probably haven’t read your favorite book, eaten at your favorite restaurant, or met your favorite person yet!
- Take a 10-minute descanso each hour. Not only will you get more done each day, but you’ll also have more energy at the end of the day to enjoy yourself.
- Get things done. Procrastination is a happiness killer. Consider how much stress would be removed from your life if you got the essentials done a tiempo.
- Spend time with those you love. Few things can enhance your happiness more than spending quality time with those you love.
- Say “yes.” Some of us are too quick to say “no” to any new opportunity. Make it a point to say yes to new opportunities.
- Say “no.” Avoid agreeing to new obligations too quickly. If your plate is already full, piling on more responsibilities and commitments will only increase stress and you may not do a good job on your regular tasks.
- Smile. Even if you don’t feel like it, smile. It’s free and you’ll feel just a little happier. When you fake a smile, it can also trick your brain into thinking you are truly happy.
- Pause. Poor choices can create challenging situations. Before saying something unkind or making a major purchase, take a moment and calm yourself first. Pause before making decisions.
- Do something you’ve always wanted to do. Adopt a pet or take piano lessons. Learn to speak another language.
- Introduce yourself to someone new. The people in your life have a significant impact on your happiness. The person you meet today may become your best friend tomorrow.
Who wouldn’t want to experience a greater level of happiness on a regular basis? It’s much easier to be happier than you think. There are many simple things you can do each day to enhance your level of happiness.
Dr. Patty Jiménez is the Founder of Recetas. She obtained 2 Masters in Theology and Ministry and a Doctorate in Ministry specializing in Latinx theology and ministry. She has over 27 years experience in Catholic Ministry and is a spiritual director and training as a wellness coach.